A paramount task of the government of Israel is to enhance the quality of life of its citizens and to contribute to the development of the Israeli society, and the Middle East region. In this task, the government subscribes to the premise that science and technology are essential to cope with the problems of the modern age and to ensure a better quality of life for the citizens. Thus, the government is committed to increase support for scientific and technological advances and educational reforms to enhance the science and technology literacy of the citizens to develop an informed and productive society that can utilize the modern information technologies.
- To develop novel agricultural products and methodologies to enhance the competitiveness of Israeli products in international markets.
- To develop technologies for efficient use of water and utilization of brackish water.
- To enhance agricultural production in peripheral regions of the country and to employ information technology in agriculture especially in the rural sector.
- To upgrade telecommunications infrastructure utilizing advanced technologies and to diversify the base of service providers.
- To strengthen science and technology education in K-12 classes by developing new curricula, teaching aids and teacher retraining, to provide an understanding of science and technology to all students.
- To ensure equal opportunity for science education in all sectors of the Israeli society.
- To increase support to academic institutions for increased ranks of students in science and engineering subjects.
- To introduce modern computer and internet communication facilities into the public school system.
- To encourage research and development of environmental technologies aimed at pollution prevention and source reduction.
- To support basic and applied environmental research projects and surveys including epidemiological health surveys, water and air pollution studies and monitoring systems.
- To increase international and regional cooperation in research related to combating desertification, climate change and water conservation.
- To increase support of disease oriented biomedical research with a special emphasis on medical problems related to Israel and its environment.
- To strengthen support of biomedical research in hospitals and to increase scientific interaction between academic institutions and hospitals.
- To support incorporation of novel medical technologies for early disease detection and treatment.
- To promote research on the absorption process of all immigrants and special groups.
- To gather relevant statistics and research findings in cooperation with other government ministries, the Jewish Agency for Israel, the JOINT, and academic research institutes.
- To promote international cooperation with Governments and research bodies dealing with immigration and its integration.
|Industry and Trade|
- To expand Israel's technological infrastructure.
- To create opportunities for global cooperation in industrial research and development.
- To promote cooperation between academic research institutions and high-tech industries to maximize commercial potential of basic research.
- To support research and development of alternative sources of energy including systems for high temperature solar thermal energy production, thermal energy storage, and super conductivity.
- To improve and develop novel methods of waste utilization.
- To plan for large scale implementation of desalination systems.
- To promote criminal-justice policies based on research on the root causes of crime and delinquency and their remedies.
- To support the development of novel methods and technologies in forensics, detection of explosives and drugs, and police intelligence work.
|Science and Technology|
- To increase support for research and development with potential economic feasibility.
- To establish national infrastructures in specific areas of research defined as national priorities.
- To support development of research institutions and regional research centers.