Dual boot systems with Linux Mint and Microsoft Windows.
Linux-Mint is a great operating system that is based on Ubuntu.
For the transition from Windows to Ubuntu I set the following goals:
- Switch gradually to Open source software that can run on Linux as well as Windows
- Generate files that can be read on both Windows and systems
- Run Linux in parallel with Windows
- Eventually complete transfer to Linux as the main OS
Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Firefox tips
We have switched from Microsoft Office to LibreOffice. Currently we are using the English version. LibreOffice works great in both English and Hebrew.
Software for bibliography management
We are using Mendeley for generating reference lists for publications.
Molecular biology software
- Molecular Graphics Visualization Software
- Bioedit and embedded software for sequence comparison and alignment.
- GeneDoc for multi-sequence comparisons. Download GeneDoc: uptodate version (another site shown in Google has only old versions).
- Molecular Biology Databases
- Sequence tools
Anti-virus: AVG Anti-Virus Free.
File Manager: Freecommander
E-mail client: I switched from Outlook Express to Thunderbird.